Sunday, October 16, 2011

October Kettle Corn!!!

I don't know about you but I am a HUGE fan of Kettle corn. I love the sweet salty taste and the smell when you go to a fair and they make it fresh for you. Here in Las Vegas they just opened up a popcorn shop and it made me think of all the varieties of popcorn I love. (Warren brought some white cheddar home the other day and it was awesome)

They sell a pretty good kettle corn at Fresh and Easy and I've tried one brand from Smiths but I always eat it in like a day or two and now I have to buy more. So I thought, Why can't I make it? Does it require some special huge copper kettle pot? I didn't think so, therefore I did the best thing.....Google it. And Ta Da!! How to make your own kettle corn.

It pulled it up on About.com with some pictures and step by step instructions. So, I wasn't feeling that great today and we stayed home from church so I figured it was the perfect time to try it out.

It came out amazing! Just as good as the stuff you get at a fair and better than the stuff you buy in the store. This is now my new favorite snack and I think I will make it as a little gift to give people for christmas because it was sooooo easy and it came out super good. I can see adding cinnamon to it or using brown sugar or maybe a little chili pepper so it is like sweet spicy popcorn. So cool.

Here is the basic recipe so you can try it out.


Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 7 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste
Preparation:
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large kettle over medium heat.
2. Then, toss in three kernels, and place the lid on the kettle.
3. Wait for the kernels to pop.
4. Once popped, quickly stir in the sugar, and add the remaining kernels.
5. Replace the lid, and listen for the kernels to start popping.
6. Then, remove the kettle from the stove, and shake to keep the kernels from burning.
7. Return the kettle to the stove for a few seconds; then, lift and shake again.
8. Repeat until all kernels have popped.
9. Then, salt to taste, and enjoy!
I got these salt and pepper grinders from costco that use whole sea salt so I put that on its finest setting and as soon as the popcorn was all popped I sprinkled that on and stirred it all up then added some more. You have to wait a few minutes for the popcorn to cool down because the sugar is liquid and has to cool. Someone mentioned that you can use powdered sugar so I'll have to try that next time.
 Hope you are having a wonderful fall season and a Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, THanks for leaving a comment!!! You are super cool!!! I love to write back to you so feel free to ask questions or just what you think.